Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day

The weather was beautiful on this Earth Day and we spent a lot of time outside. My favorite time of the day was after dinner, when the three of us went into the backyard and basked in the late afternoon sunshine.

Ivy explored the gardens and discovered all the new growth, budding trees and garden ornaments that survived the winter.

We sat on the deck with our own little Drop of Golden Sun. I gathered fallen wisteria seeds that I hope to germinate and transfer to the garden later this summer while Ivy and Kevin played with a slinky that I picked up at a meeting last week. It was a perfect, beautiful way to end the day.


I've always loved Earth Day and it holds a special, sacred place in my heart; my grandpa Ottmar passed away on Earth Day in 1988, which I think is fitting for a man who spent his life on the Mississippi River. I thought of him today and smiled when I realized how much he would have enjoyed his youngest great-grandchild. I think that they would have been very good friends.


(A special note to my knitter friends - in honor of Earth Day, Ivy is wearing a dress that I knitted for her! It's a little too big and I have some ideas for altering the pattern when I make it the next time.)

1 comment:

pdxkatie said...

I LOVE the dress and noticed it right away, even before I read that you knit it. Way to go Mama!