Sunday, October 19, 2008

Gratitude

How can I truly express my gratitude to Ivy's foster mother and foster father, the loving people who have cared for her for most of her 7 1/2 months?  We speak different languages and we've grown up on completely opposite curves of the globe, yet we're connected by our one baby girl.  Kevin and I are so grateful for this special couple and we hope that we've clearly told them, through translation, how we recognize that part of who Ivy grows up to be will be thanks to the loving care they provided during her early months.

Adoptive parents traditionally give gifts of thanks to their baby's foster parents when they travel to Korea to bring their child home.  Kevin and I want to make sure that our gifts are special and heartfelt.  And I cannot imagine more meaningful gifts than this gorgeous wooden bowl that my dad turned and this beautiful dresser scarf that my mother embroidered.  I recently listened to a podcast interview with Gary Snyder who said that every piece of art that we create is a gift for the entire world.  I think that this sentiment fittingly describes the art that my parents created for the loving people who have been caring for their granddaughter.  They created these pieces  in their home in western Wisconsin and are now sending their creations across the world.  Thanks, Mom and Dad, for sharing your talents with the dear people who love Ivy as much as we all do.  I imagine that these invaluable items will travel with us in our carry-on bags; not because I'm afraid that our checked luggage will be lost, but because I'll need them close to my heart during the long journey to Seoul.



2 comments:

pdxkatie said...

What beautiful gifts to give Shawn! I am sniffling at my desk at work just in anticipation of Ivy coming into your loving family!

Our Castle Rock Farm said...

Next time Orlin teaches a photo workshop, I will have to introduce him as an INTERNATIONALLY exhibiting artist.
Back to back homeruns from the 5th Street gift boutique...