Sunday, September 28, 2008

Cousins

When I was young I loved spending time with my cousins (and I still love spending time with them). We spent long afternoons playing and creating imaginary worlds on the shores of the Waumandee Creek. I envied my courageous little sister who fearlessly and effortlessly crossed the creek by scampering across a low branch of a large oak tree that spanned the creek. (I hope that I don't get her in trouble with Mom by revealing this information!) I was a timid child and always took the safer, and much longer, route of crossing the creek, which involved climbing over a barbed wire fence and walking down a cow path that eventually led to a rickety metal bridge. I still have a scar on my left palm from a harrowing incident in 1980 when I got caught on the fence. I'm fairly sure that I was hanging from that fence, attached to it by my left boot heel and a flap of skin on my hand, for 15 minutes while my cousins Jo and Janet furiously worked to free me from the cruel barbs of the fence. They were pretty good sports and didn't laugh about my mishap until I was back on solid ground.

Ivy's cousins are helping all of us get ready for her homecoming. They're looking forward to teaching her so many things and I know that they will never teach her risky behaviors. They're already sharing their crib with Ivy and it makes me incredibly happy seeing it set up in our house. We're also so lucky to have a niece who has impeccable taste in clothes because we're borrowing so many of her lovely little baby clothes from her! Here she is describing an especially important item of clothing:



1 comment:

Kathy said...

WHAT!?? Kersten! Did you cross the creek crawling across a branch!? Now I want you in bed by 7:00 p.m.!! (These days that would be a luxury rather than a penalty)
Love to all - to the timid and the fearless.
Grandma B.